I-601 and I-601A Waivers of Inadmissibility

You are here


The I-601 and 601A are waivers of inadmissibility often used to overcome the three and 10 year bars to reentering the United States after unlawful presence

The hardest part of an I-601 or I-601A waiver is demonstrating extreme hardship to a qualifying US relative. The hardship has to be signficantly greater than the ordinary hardship that results from a family member being removed. Ordinary hardship may include diminished economic and educational opportunities. Ordinary hardship is not enough.

The hardship standard for the I-601 and I-601A are identical. The important difference is that the I-601 applicant must apply from outside of the United States and must demonstrate extreme hardship to a US citizen or permanent resident spouse or parent and the I-601A applicant may apply from inside of the United States and must demonstrate extreme hardship to a US citizen spouse or parent. USCIS will not consider evidence of hardship to US citizen or permanent resident children unless it is explained in a way that demonstrates that it effectively a hardship to the qualifying relative.

There is no limit to the number of I-601 and I-601A applications a person can file.  But waiver applications take time and money, so it's wise to carefully prepare the application.

Related Subjects: 

Call us at 408.797.0000

Call us at 408.797.0000

Call us for a consultation at 408.797.0000. We offer expert services and proven experience with complex issues that others can overlook.

Save this page


Who's Online

There are currently 0 users and 41 guests online.

visit us at:

  95 South Market St., Suite 363
    San José, CA 95113
 (408) 797-0000

  200 Washington St., Suite 208
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060
 (831) 245-0000

The Olender Pro Bono Project

We represent some clients who have compelling cases and little money at no charge. Sean received the Benito Juarez human rights award in 2008 and the ALRP Volunteer Award in 2012 for taking more than 10 pro bono cases in 12 months. We need volunteers. E-mail Debbie to volunteer.


Change Your Address at DHS!

If you are not a US citizen, you must change your address with DHS within 10 days of moving or face deportation. Click Here.